This program is currently suspended due to the global pandemic.
Volunteer at one of our many Portland / Vancouver area dining centers and help us change lives, one meal at a time.
Here are some of the volunteer needs:
- Kitchen Support – Simple food prep, dish up salad, divide dessert, and serve lunch. (M-Th lunchtime)
- Dining Room Assistant – Set tables, rolls silverware, dry trays, other tasks as assigned in dining room. (M-Th lunchtime)
- Dishwasher – Maintain kitchen sanitation (M-Th lunchtime)
- Assisting and following directions for daily food preparation from Kitchen Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Arrive at the center on time (if unable to attend, please notify center manager)
- Report to center manager/kitchen coordinator to receive job assignment
- Maintain high standards of personal and kitchen sanitation and safety
- Take time to visit participants and take interest in their welfare
- Promote a positive social environment to the center
Average Time Commitment:
- Can vary depending upon the needs of the center
- Must be 18 years of age to use any equipment
- Youth under age 14 must be approved by the center manager for appropriateness of task assignment
- Willingness to learn policies, programs, and traditions of the center
- Exhibit respectful and calm demeanor
- Good manners and patience
- Able to work well with a diverse group of individuals
- Able to demonstrate flexibility, initiative, patience, and reliability
To Volunteer (New Volunteers Only):
- Create your volunteer profile on our online volunteer portal
- Schedule a brief on-site orientation with the Center Manager.
- Once you’ve completed the orientation, you will be asked to complete a background check.
- After the background check results are returned to the Center Manager, we will work with you to schedule your time with Meals on Wheels People.